Unfortunately vtkStripper still has a bug (since 2004!) which rendered it unusable for my endeavor. It causes some images to look quite wrong (thus they’d be printed wrong) as it combined some polylines in an unsuitable manner. The slice pictured below has that white/inverted triangle which is not supposed to be there.
After patching vtkStripper.cxx with the patch attached to be bug, everything was fine. (Well pretty much, I’ve still experienced the problem one time, but hey, what’s perfect in this world )
- Slice STL model using vtkCutter and store the polylines in vtp files. By decuppling the cutting process from rendering the images, we gain flexibility, since we do not have to do the cutting each time we want to use a different rendering algorithm. The first step also computes the bounds of the model (using a bounding box) and stores them in a file.
- Convert polyline to SVG. We use SVG since it provides multiple benefits over directly rasterizing the polyline. First of all we retain control over the units (during the whole process you want to make sure you don’t mess up the units, or otherwise your printed object may be twice as large as anticipated or similar problems may occur).
- Use ImageMagick to rasterize the SVG graphics. Actually that’s something pretty cool, because in this step we can easily ensure that we’re using the correct resolution for our printer. So if we used an Ink printer to apply the binder during the 3D printing process, we could simply use the resolution of the printer.
So now that we have all slices we can (of course) print them, or we could make a little movie out of them, which is exactly what I did:
The model’s coming from Thingiverse and the music is from SoundCloud. You might notice the full model in upper right corner, that’s just visual sugar for the video and not part of the sliced images.
Download me here.